This last weekend we had family spend the night with us. I spent part of the week doing some pre-clean work and Friday I spent the day “cleaning like a cleaning lady” where much of my time is spent on bathrooms and floors. Yes it took the better part of the day, but it was work that I needed to do last week anyway so I put it off unit I could achieve maximum benefit.
I made a turkey, which I was planning on making anyway because a few weeks ago they had Turkey at Kroger for $.69 a pound and so I bought two. Not wanting to have them be freezer burned messes by the time I finally got around to making them I made sure to include one in the month of February and one will be used in March. I also made a batch of chocolate chip cookies, a loaf of bread, an apple pie (with homemade crust) mashed potatoes and a corn casserole. In all I think I spent $10 in items I didn’t have in the freezer or pantry.
I am never super self-conscious about having family over, but this particular family had not been to our house in Frankenmuth for a Long, long time (they come to the cottage during the summer because it’s a half hour from their house). They had recently re-done their kitchen with stainless steel appliances, granite countertops and a new island. It is lovely.
As I was cleaning on Friday I was looking at my older, some discolored, some cracked appliances. I was feeling a bit down. My counter tops have some stains and chips and my kitchen is just a bit dated. Yesterday after I had prepared and served dinner and I was getting ready for breakfast in the morning I realized my kitchen served it’s purpose. We were together, we enjoyed some good food and if there was any judgment on the other end I didn’t sense it and I didn’t feel the need to apologize for my kitchen’s shortcomings.
I sometimes worry about how my home appears to others. In the past clutter has been an issue. My microwave has been filthy on the inside or I will try to find something and expose a bunch of junk in a drawer. This time that was not an issue, but is still worried. It wasn’t until I was making breakfast this morning that I realized, everything in my kitchen worked together to make a lot of really tasty food. My house was comfortable and warm. The finish on my appliances does not matter, as long as it’s clean and tidy. Even an “outdated” kitchen can serve as a welcoming place for guests.
Live and learn.
No comments:
Post a Comment