Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Finally seeing some progress...


In years past we have lived large.  We always kept a budget and I would try to adhere to it as much as possible, but I will admit that I was only good when I had to be and when there was a surplus, I would find a way to spend it.  I consider myself a spending/saving bulimic. I do really well for a while and then I blow all that progress in a weeks time.
This year is different.  I feel very motivated to pay cash for our next vehicle and, having picked it out, and knowing how much we will need (generally) is making turning down some things a little easier.  I am all for still spending money for experiences, but even those this year will be a bit less than they have been in years past. 
Plus I am seeing some real progress in our savings account.  Since we started I have more than tripled the amount in our savings so we are about 35% toward our goal.  Plus I did our taxes which will put us another 10% closer and I am planning on how to get to the goal within the year.  I have included vacations (we are going to Williamsburg/Washington DC for spring break and we do a 10 day Thanksgiving trip to Florida every year), the spending for our trip to Boston in May and some extra spending for an extended family (Husbands side) vacation we do every year in Manistee that always involves extra money for candy and groceries for the week.  These plus the cottage give us lots of fun family time…lots of great experiences, plus the ability to buy a new (to us) van with cash would be the best year ever! 

No comments:

Post a Comment