Thursday, December 15, 2011

What I want versus what I need



I am looking at new (to me) cars.  My van is 12 years old and has almost 170,000 miles.  At some point in the near future we will need to replace it because it is now the primary car for the family.  Right now it’s very reliable but at some point it will start to falter and I want to be prepared. 
I have loved my mini-van since I bought it ten years ago.  I got all the extras that I wanted.  I could have paid less for a lesser van.  I feel that, because I loved it so, I have remained happy with it for a decade. 
One thing I really want in my next vehicle is a sunroof.  I would love something small with great gas mileage, but it still needs to be the family’s primary car and it also needs to be able to tow our boat, so I need to get something larger.  I like the look of the Acadia/Enclave/Outlook/Traverse, they offer the sun roof option, are large enough for the family and could easily tow the boat.  This is what I want. 
I could easily get another mini-van with extras that would make for a nice family car and, just as my current mini-van does, tow the boat, for about five thousand dollars less.  This is all we need, however, my heart isn’t in it. 
So do I focus on what I want, that I could possibly drive for a decade, or just getting what I need, that I could grow weary of in 3-5 years? 
I will not have to make that choice right away and I need to start test driving.  Who knows what will happen when I actually get behind the wheel.  Anything can happen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment